This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to use scripts for multi-server farm

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM

We would like to use virtualization to host MOSS. For example, we're thinking of having two vms that host the WFE, then two vms that have the query and/or index service, then two vms with the database. Is it possible to use the scripts to create a farm on multiple servers like this?

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Definitely possible, although some tweaking might be required, especially if you wanted the entire process to be automated (as opposed to just running the script individually on each VM).

If you're OK with running the script individually on each MOSS VM: For the first WFE (or the server on which you'd like to host Central Administration), you'd run the script and select to start at step 1., then on each subsequent SharePoint server, run the script but select to start at step 7. Since the farm, services and SSPs would have been created when you installed the first server, adding each of those remaining VMs to the farm and configuring services would be a much simpler (although somewhat manual) process.

Of course, this all depends on your SQL server instance being installed first (which the script does not address - it assumes you already have a SQL instance available).

Hope this helps!

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Where do i configure this option "Select to Start at step 1" OR "Select to start at step 7".

I would like to use this for a Two Front End MOSS installation on Windows 2008.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2009 at 7:41 PM
amitchachra wrote:

Where do i configure this option "Select to Start at step 1" OR "Select to start at step 7".

I would like to use this for a Two Front End MOSS installation on Windows 2008.

Please let me know.

Thanks

When you run Launch.bat, you are presented with the choice of which step at which to begin the process.

HTH,

Brian