This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

MOSS 2007 with SP2 slipstream?

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Is there any chance you might enhance this tool to generate a MOSS 2007 with Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it?  Microsoft already did that for WSS 3.0 with SP2, but neglected to provide a similar download for MOSS.  The technique is well understood but somewhat manual (read error prone), so automating it would be a nice touch.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:33 AM

The tool isn't so much designed to slipstream installations of MOSS (although it certainly takes advantage of a slipstreamed source, to save even more time) as it is to automate the installation steps themselves. My experience has been that once my MOSS 2007 installation source has been slipstreamed (using the steps you've referred to), I would just re-use the same source for subsequent installs, & therefore didn't see a need to include the slipstreaming process itself into these particular scripts. Having said that, I do have a pretty basic script for extracting SP2 (or any WSS/MOSS hotfix) into a folder, whose contents I then manually copy over to the <source>\x86\Updates or <source>\x64\Updates folder. Let me know if you're interested.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Yes, I would be interested in your generic MOSS slip streaming methodology so that I can create what Microsoft forgot (MOSS 2007 with SP2 slipstreamed) to provide as a download.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:35 PM

No problem, here's the batch file code:

::***BEGIN BATCH FILE CODE***
@ECHO OFF

:: Determine if 32-bit or 64-bit install required
IF /i "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" == "X86" SET PLATFORM=x86
IF /i NOT "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" == "X86" SET PLATFORM=x64

ECHO Updates in this directory:
ECHO .
DIR %~dp0*%PLATFORM%*.exe /b
ECHO .
ECHO Please enter the update file name:
SET /P HF=
ECHO .
timeout 2

ECHO Extracting Update %HF%
IF NOT EXIST "%~dp0\Updates" MKDIR "%~dp0Updates"
"%~dp0\%HF%" /extract:"%~dp0Updates" /quiet

ECHO Now just move/copy the required files (from \Updates) to ..\%PLATFORM%\Updates
START /B explorer.exe "%~dp0Updates"

SET HF=
SET PLATFORM=
pause
::***END BATCH FILE CODE***
Just copy/paste into a new .bat or .cmd file, saved to the folder containing the SP2 executable (or your hotfix(es).
Jul 21, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I tried the following version of your example, but it fails. 

J:\Download\Microsoft\Office 2007 Server SP2>CreateSp2SplipStream.bat

Updates in this directory:

The system cannot find the file specified.

Please enter the update file name:

Waiting for 0 seconds, press a key to continue ...

Extracting Update

'"J:\Download\Microsoft\Office 2007 Server SP2\\"' is not recognized as an internal or ext

ernal command,

operable program or batch file.

Now just move/copy the required files (from \Updates) to ..\x86\Updates

Press any key to continue . . .

What am I doing wrong?

@ECHO OFF

:: Just copy/paste into a new .bat or .cmd file, saved to the folder

:: containing the SP2 executable (or your hotfix(es).

:: Assume "SharePoint With SP1" MSDN DVD is sitting here: D:\English\OfficeSystem\SharePoint2007\ServerWithSP1\

:: Assume that I copied the above directory to huge USB drive at J:\aaTemp\ServerWithSp1\

:: Assume that I copied the MOSS 2007 SP2 exe to J:\Download\Microsoft\Office 2007 Server SP2\officeserver2007sp2-kb953334-x86-fullfile-en-us.exe

:: How do I combine the two? (what do I change below?)

ECHO .

ECHO .

SET /P HF=

ECHO .

timeout 2

ECHO Now just move/copy the required files (from \Updates) to ..\%PLATFORM%\Updates

SET HF=

SET PLATFORM=

pause

Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 10:36 AM
To: fpmorrison@verizon.net
Subject: Re: MOSS 2007 with SP2 slipstream? [AutoMOSSInstaller:62818]

No problem, here's the batch file code:

::***BEGIN BATCH FILE CODE***
@ECHO OFF

ECHO .
ECHO .
SET /P HF=
ECHO .
timeout 2

SET HF=
SET PLATFORM=
pause
::***END BATCH FILE CODE***
Just copy/paste into a new .bat or .cmd file, saved to the folder containing the SP2 executable (or your hotfix(es).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (AutoMOSSInstaller@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email AutoMOSSInstaller@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I actually did an exact copy/paste of your version of the script code into a new batch file on my end, and it worked great. Perhaps what's happening on your end is the script isn't able to determine the value of the %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% variable? If that's the case then you can just hard-code %PLATFORM% to x86 or x64, depending on whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit windows. Alternately you could remove this functinality altogether, along with the DIR command etc. and just hard-code the name of the SP2 executable in the script. Up to you.

Hope this helps.

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I think I figure it out, but when I look at Central Administration after using my new slipstreamed image, it still says 12.0.0.6219 instead of the expected 12.0.0.6421.  Can you look over the following and see if you can spot what I did wrong?

Run the MOSS SP2 exe with option /extract:J:\aaTemp  to get just the updates.

Copy all directories from the “MOSS 2007 with SP1” portion of the DVD to J:\Download\Microsoft\SharePoint2007Install\ServerwithSP1\

(I verified there is a \x86\updates\ directory present).

Copy all files from J:\aaTemp\ to the above “updates” subdirectory.  *I DID NOT REMOVE ANY OF THE EXISTING SP1 UPDATES – WAS THAT WRONG? *

Rename ServerWithSp1 to ServerWithSp2 and use to install MOSS 2000 “with SP2” preapplied.  This worked fine except the resulting version number reported by Central Administration is incorrect.

My concern is that after the above copy, there are two copies of some files such as:

dlcappwwsp1.msp

dlcappwwsp2.msp

Yet there are also single copies of some files, such as:

wsswwsp1.msp (there is no wsswwsp2.msp)

Questions:

1. Do I get rid of any “*1.wsp” file for which there is a “*2.wsp” counterpart?

2. Do I need to pull in the WSS 3.0 SP2 “updates” into my slipstream as well as the MOSS 2007 SP2 updates?  If yes, what about any “near duplicates” (i.e., same as question #1)?

Sorry for all the questions.

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:57 AM
To: fpmorrison@verizon.net
Subject: Re: MOSS 2007 with SP2 slipstream? [AutoMOSSInstaller:62818]

I actually did an exact copy/paste of your version of the script code into a new batch file on my end, and it worked great. Perhaps what's happening on your end is the script isn't able to determine the value of the %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% variable? If that's the case then you can just hard-code %PLATFORM% to x86 or x64, depending on whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit windows. Alternately you could remove this functinality altogether, along with the DIR command etc. and just hard-code the name of the SP2 executable in the script. Up to you.

Hope this helps.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (AutoMOSSInstaller@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email AutoMOSSInstaller@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Hi, since this discussion is now well outside the bounds of the project, let me just add a few closing remarks:

• yes you do need to remove all SP1-related updates in your \Updates folder first (I discovered this the hard way too). If you're not sure which is which, I'd recommend starting with a base install first. Check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968283 for more information.
  • yes you do need the WSS SP2 updates as well as the MOSS SP2 updates in your \Updates slipsteamed source

Hope this helps, if there's anything else please try to contact me directly rather than posting to the discussions. Thanks!